In November 2010, Matt Cutts announced at PubCon that they had over 200 Google ranking factors, with each having fifty or more variations.
Of those 200, here in this blog, I present to you three most important Google ranking factors.
If you want to know how to improve your Google search rankings, content is your main asset.
There are two things Google values in content most: it’s quality and the ability to satisfy user search intent. You need to max out both in order to win the ranking game; neglect even one of the two, and you’ll be outclassed by countless websites who have invested in both.
Content comes in all forms: text, images, audio, video, and combinations thereof, and every one of them can take you to Google’s page #1, although videos are the most popular and competitive. It all depends on whether or not you can strike gold with its quality. How do you strike gold then?
– Optimize your content with the keywords you want to rank for.
– Give your content a design that’s intuitive and pleases the eyes.
– Anticipate user search intent and prepare content that satisfies it as fully as possible, answering any possible question a user might have.
– If conversions are your goal, plan out how you will guide users through your content to the call-to-action and close the deal. You may also try your luck at creating viral content. Not an easy task by any means, but guaranteed to bring you lots of traffic and backlinks if it works out.
Backlinks are also called “incoming links”, “Inboundlinks” These links are made when one website links to others and backlinks are the most valued thing for SEO. When one website shares your link, the traffic of that website can dribble on to yours by clicking on the link making a small proverbial hole in your water tank of traffic to profit an associated website holder.
Dofollow links to your site on other domains are the most powerful ranking factor. When other sites offer their users to visit you, Google’s algorithm understands you are better than the less acknowledged sites and ranks you accordingly. So, is it as simple as putting a backlink on as many websites as possible? Of course not.
What kind of backlinks will help you rank?
– Dofollow and nofollow links (Google will doubt your site’s quality if you have only one of the two)
– Links from relevant sites
– Links from sites with a higher domain authority
– Links from pages whose content is contextually related to your site’s
– Naturally, losing backlinks will lead to losing your rankings. Keep an eye on your site’s link profile in the Backlink Quality Check reports.
RankBrain is artificial intelligence (AI) component of Google’s Hummingbird search algorithm.
RankBrain uses machine learning to filter results and improve the way Web pages are positioned in search engine results pages (SERP). Machine learning software gathers information that is not specifically provided to it. Like data mining, it searches through data to find patterns and uses that data to improve the software’s own understanding.
It splits the query into vectors(word vectors) and understands the users intent. Then, it gives the personalized results considering location, personalization, and words.
The RankBrain technology bases its interpretation of ambiguous search queries — and especially complex, multi-word queries — on knowledge about similar searches, it has experienced. According to Google, their technology recognizes like patterns among apparently dissimilar complex queries and shorter, more easily understood queries. Those patterns help RankBrain identify how those queries are actually similar. That information can help the search engine algorithm interpret long and complex search queries in the future and identify topics they might relate to.
Pre-RankBrain: Google used its basic algorithm to provide results using guess model. Whenever Google receives a new search query, it uses guess model to fetch the results but the possibility of fetching the best results is not known.
Post-RankBrain: Google uses the interpretation model to fetch the best results from the available set of results. Whenever a new query is placed, it checks for the possible factors and gives the best fit. This is a “still work-in-progress” method but ensures accurate results.
How to do SEO for RankBrain?
To optimize your website for RankBrain you should do the following things:
1) Create long-form content – RankBrain focuses on optimizing search terms which haven’t been searched on Google before. Expand your keyword range to include a number of synonyms and variations of the word you’re trying to rank for to get the most people to your website.
Creating long-form content (1,500+ words) will help you achieve this.
2) Make content comprehensive – For example, if you’re writing an article about how to buy your first home, go beyond writing about what homebuyers ask and provide answers to questions that are useful but might not be asked as often. The goal of Google is to provide users with the best possible search result; the more useful information you can provide on a topic, the higher you’ll rank.
3) Write for humans – In the Bloomberg video, the Google spokesman said RankBrain is like talking to a human, not a computer. Don’t write an article thinking only about keywords; think about the person who will be reading it.
Importance of RankBrain:
Google RankBrain is the third-most important ranking factor (behind content and backlinks). If your website/web pages have :
1) High impression, poor CTR – you should get worried.
2) High CTR, low dwell time and high bounce rate – you should get worried.
Meaning, you need to optimize your website.
With RankBrain in action, it’s not just about ranking higher or getting more clicks. It’s all about how useful is your webpage to the visitors. Because if it isn’t, this machine learning ranking program will eventually demote that webpage for the particular keyword, rewarding someone else.